FAQ  •  Login

Poor Decision by the U.S. House GOP 11/2/11

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:00 pm

Poor Decision by the U.S. House GOP 11/2/11

Before I compose this post, I have to preface it by stating that I identify as Independent as far as political party is concerned. I have a tendency, in most issues, to lean to the left, however, I am open-minded and prefer to listen to every candidate's stance on key issues and make an educated and informed decision not based on any party lines.

I follow the great Wil Wheaton on Twitter and he posted the following this evening:
Money House GOP spent today on creating jobs: $0. Money GOP spent on reaffirming "In God We Trust": $215,000. We are governed by children

I, personally, am boggled by this. So many are job-less at the moment, struggling just to get by on the bare minimum, but a religious statement on our currency is somehow prioritized over that? Separation of Church and State has sadly become non-existent to the point that it is affecting decisions that the government is making. Who cares if our currency says "In God We Trust" if many don't even see that money due to their unemployed status? I'm curious to see what people here think of the decision the government made today to put funds into reaffirming a religious statement over creating jobs. Discuss.
SuperHeroGirl: Always the exception. ALWAYS.
Wins on LPW prior to post count change: 5
Current wins on LPW: 6

<<

Riovas

Honored One

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Poor Decision by the U.S. House GOP 11/2/11

I'm honestly kinda confused as to how government is going to create jobs. If they are going to be governmental jobs, then thye have to be paid with tax dollars, or in our case, lack thereof. If they're hopoing to make incentives for the big companies, again, what money do we have for these incentives, and what sense does it make to force huge taxes on the big companies, then ask them to open up irrelevent positions? Also, we are in a time of automation. We want things done by machines, not humans beacuse of reliability and its much cheaper to pay for power than for a human being. Technology thus becomes a double-edged sword.
<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Hmm.... I have an opinion regarding this, but I can't figure out how to word it that wouldn't be overly caustic and inflammatory.

How about "I think we're overreacting a bit, perhaps? Things will get better, since it takes a LONG time to fix a long-term entity like the economy."
LPW Thread Wins: 23

Ranked #1 in forum posts, the only Veteran of the Great War. I am Interplosion's Tharol, I am your god

11037 never forget.
<<

Riovas

Honored One

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:17 pm

^ That's true, it will take time. However, you still need some sort of plan of making it happen in the long run. Shrugging your shoulders isnot oding any good. But you do bring up a good point that most Americans want a quick fix- a bandaid. But we cant do tat right now.
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:05 pm

Are things really as bad as they are made out over in America?
Captain of the Interplosion Night Watch/Hate Guard. First to be banned.

Glorious victories in LPW thread: 15 and one as Pravado

<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:28 pm

Probably not. America won't be sinking into a third-world nation anytime soon, that's for sure.

Ranked #1 in forum posts, the only Veteran of the Great War. I am Interplosion's Tharol, I am your god

11037 never forget.
<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:12 am

<<

Riovas

Honored One

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:14 pm

America is nowhere near as bad as Japan, Greece, or al of Africa, but it's losing its grip on social and economic power. You wanna know whats really messed up? The European Union is asking China to help bailout Greece.
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Africa's rapidly developing though and it's only a matter of time before Japan re-stabilises. You know what's funny? China pretty much laughed and said fuck no.
Captain of the Interplosion Night Watch/Hate Guard. First to be banned.

Glorious victories in LPW thread: 15 and one as Pravado

<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:52 pm

Japan's gone through a nuclear devastation before (and came out better than ever before).

Here's hoping this will be a similar experience. (That sounds terrible, but I mean it in the best of ways)

11037 never forget.
<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:33 am

Oh yeah? Well. Shut up.
Spoiler:
murrikuh
<<

dumbalias

Fresh Off The Boat

Post Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:55 am

Deimos wrote:Are things really as bad as they are made out over in America?

The hypocrisy here is horrible, and anyone cursed with intellect can easily want to beat people to death with cinder block nunchaku.
<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:55 am

dumbalias wrote:cinder block nunchaku.

I'm sorry to say, but they don't make those here. Besides, the balancing would be terrible, and you'd have to know your shit, because those things are unforgiving.

11037 never forget.

Return to Debate