FAQ  •  Login

The Interplosion Mythos Project.

<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:44 am

The Interplosion Mythos Project.

I had this in mind for a little while near the tail end of Interplosion 1's life cycle, but didn't want to post it only to have it closed a couple days later, so I waited for the move here.

I had an idea:

What if we created our own little mythos and list of creatures/beings/cryptids/entities to use for blogs, vlogs, short stories, creepypasta and the like?

You don't HAVE to do blogs or vlogs based around the characters that you create after making them. I consider this more of a free idea pool in case anyone WANTS to do a blog/vlog/creepypasta but is having trouble deciding what to create. You can create more than one being if you wish, and not all in one post either.

Formatting would be something like this:

1. [Entity's name]
( You can also include nicknames, if you imagine it going by more than one name)
2. Picture of entity, if it has a tangible form.

3. Explanation of what entity is. Can include description of its appearance, how it moves, communicates (if it does at all), things like that.

4. I decided on using the SCP Foundation's (http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/) threat rating scale: Safe, Euclid or Keter.

In lieu of doing a long winded explanation, I'll copy and paste an explanation of the "locked box" test:

Safe: If you can lock the thing away somewhere, leave it alone, and nothing will happen, that thing is Safe.
Euclid: If you lock a thing away somewhere and leave it alone, but there's no telling what will happen, it's Euclid. (Slenderman would likely fall into this category, going by everything known about him.)
Keter: If you lock it away, leave it alone, and all hell breaks loose, it's Keter. (Zalgo or The Archangel would likely fall into this category. )

More information here: http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-object-classes

(OPTIONAL) Documentation: A "documented occurrence" of the thing's activity. Can be in the form of a creepypasta, short or long, or in some other format if you wish. (News report, interview with "survivor", or if you're extremely dedicated, a short video.)

Example:

Entity's name: Mr. Scratch.
Nicknames: Old Nick, Mr. Nick, Mr. Cypher, Lou, Mr. Bright

Picture of entity:

Mr. Scratch is on the upper right. This picture was taken by a friend of missing person Terrance Olsen, a 21 year old North Carolina college student who went missing at a crossroads on July 23rd, 2003. (More information in the "documented sighting" section.)

Explanation/Description: Mr. Scratch is a being whose appearance has been documented as far back as the 18th century. It is believed that this entity either took its name from, or was the inspiration for, the character of the same name in the story "The Devil and Daniel Webster". It is extremely persuasive, and can convince someone that they are good friends with him very easily, sometimes in the span of minutes. Sensations known to occur from contact with Mr. Scratch are ones of knowing an old friend who you haven't seen in ages, a feeling of great comfort and happiness, almost a kinship, and even feelings of lust. This allows Mr. Scratch to more easily suggest self destructive behavior, and allows him to easily prey on his victims. If you come into any contact with Mr. Scratch, unless you have a very strong will, there is a very good chance that if you listen to him, you can fall under his sway.

His appearance varies widely. Some people have seen him as a well groomed man in a black suit with a goatee and beard, others have seen him as a pudgy man with blonde hair in a white suit. Others still have seen him as a black Jamaican with dreadlocks wearing a trenchcoat. There is no set appearance or age for him, and he can only be identified by name. He will almost always introduce himself either by the name Mr. Scratch, or a variation of the known nicknames posted above. This is his biggest weakness however, for if you know who he is, that makes it very easy to ignore him or walk away. Those who have walked away after hearing his name, out of fear or even simple disinterest, have shown no ill effects.

Threat level: Euclid. (There have been very few reports of Mr. Scratch directly killing someone, though he has been known to do so. He seems to prefer talking people into killing themselves, usually slowly. )

Reported sighting:

North Carolina, 2003

On a warm July night in 2003, a friend of Terrance Olsen by the name of Michael West, reported to police that his friend had gone missing.
Earlier that evening, Michael West, 22, joined his friend Terrance Olsen at a local bar.

" It was a usual Friday night for us." a visibly nervous Michael told reporters. " Terry and I had just gotten out of our last class, so we hit up the local bar to drink and maybe pick up some girls. I had my camera on me, so I took some pictures of us messing around, and this weird guy wearing a fancy black suit..I swear I couldn't see a bit of dust on it..and a red tie came up to us and asked what we were doing. Terry answered him, and the guy seemed to focus on Terry for the rest of the evening. He called himself Mister Scratch.

"He barely paid any attention to me, but from what little he did he was very polite, and even picked up our tabs for us. Terry had me take some pictures with him, almost all of them with the guy directly in the shot weren't any good. The area of the pictures the guy was in just turned out really bright for some reason, like I'd taken a picture of the sun reflecting off a mirror or something.

" Then he suggested we go out to this place near the woods to take pictures, and Terry seemed real excited about it. I don't know why; Terry never really was much into photography. I tried to duck out of it, but Terry got real mad and insisted. I dunno if he was drunk or if he really liked the guy that much, but I was scared to say no. So we drove for about an hour, and all the while this guy's talking to Terry and you'd think they knew each other all their life. They talked about what he was interested in, if he was dating, what he planned to do with his life, things like that.

"When we finally got to the place, the guy led us a good way's walk through some trees, until we finally got to this barren circle of land in the forest. Something felt weird to me about that place. It was like each step I took in that place was heavy, and I felt really nauseous. I didn't even drink that evening, and I've got the breathalyzer test results to prove it, you can ask the police. Weirder thing was, Terry looked like he was right at home though. He kept saying 'it's beautiful' and 'I'm finally here'.

" That's when Mister Scratch told me to take a picture of the two of them to savor the moment. I immediately raised the camera and took a picture, even though Terry's back was turned and Mr. Scratch was at the far end of the circle. After the flash from the camera, I swear to God, Terry and Mr. Scratch were gone. I must have spent an hour wandering around and calling out for him before I gave up and went to the cops. They didn't find anything either. They claimed they never even found the circle. I tried leading them to it, but I never could find it."

Terrance's story held up when the bartender was questioned about it, showing that their tab for that evening had indeed been paid by a "Mr. Scratch". When asked if there were any features besides the suit that Terrance could recall to aid police, he only replied as follows:

" No. Honestly, and you'll think I'm full of crap, but I swear on my grandma's grave that I can't for the life of me remember what he looked like besides the suit, even what the color of his skin was. He had this really long, wide grin too, come to think of it. And I could swear that sometimes when he grinned I could hear something like a snake hissing. That's about it though."

--

That was just an example of how to go about doing your submission. I mostly based Mr. Scratch off the old local legends about the Devil walking around in the guise of Mr. Scratch and the Devil's Tramping Ground, and I don't expect him to be added to the list of beings in the mythos.

Oh, an addition: Already established entities such as Slenderman and The Archangel can exist in the realm of these mythos.

I would also like it if some of these could be simple in concept to do in the realm of Vlogs or blogs that would involve pictures, like Slenderman and The Archangel (and even The Rake). As long as it's not some 19 foot tall spider creature, and more humanoid in appearance, that'd be great.
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:13 pm

Re: The Interplosion Mythos Project.

Needs moar Mothman
Captain of the Interplosion Night Watch/Hate Guard. First to be banned.

Glorious victories in LPW thread: 15 and one as Pravado

<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 am

Sounds interesting. We already kind of have a Slender Collab going (the forum is off-limits for anyone not involved), but this sounds interestng as well

Speaking of the collab, someone should make a thread showing the blogs for everyone not involved.
<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Ah, alright. If there's nothing in this topic by about 2 weeks to a month, I'll just close/delete it and maybe try again later.
<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:41 am

Did you create the example listed, or is it from SCP?
<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:53 pm

Mr. Scratch?

Created it, though I took a good bit of inspiration from local legends about the Devil from around these parts, like I said. I did take a bit of inspiration from the SCP in how I wrote it though, but I wanted to make it its own thing at the same time.

Return to Slender Man