FAQ  •  Login

Re-Making Forums and Other Nice Things

<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Re: Re-Making Forums and Other Nice Things

Okay, everyone can stop posting to see if posting works. Because it does.
All I can remember after I closed my eyes, was that first, it got real loud; then, it got real hot; then it got real slimy; then it got quiet; then it got.... unspeakable. And when I opened my eyes, the pool was empty, and three days had passed.
<<

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Robot Warrior

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I can't log into the chat since the names were purged. It says Zaphod Beeblebrox is password protected, and when I try to enter the old password it says it's invalid. I suspect Nazis.
© Bastard Productions
<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:44 pm

I re-deleted the account. Try to make it again.
All I can remember after I closed my eyes, was that first, it got real loud; then, it got real hot; then it got real slimy; then it got quiet; then it got.... unspeakable. And when I opened my eyes, the pool was empty, and three days had passed.
<<

N7oler101MC

Dino Warrior

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:45 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I can't log into the chat since the names were purged. It says Zaphod Beeblebrox is password protected, and when I try to enter the old password it says it's invalid. I suspect Nazis.

^ I seem to be having the same problem.
The Slenderman, Or To The Ark and Back Again
<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Deleted the account, try making it again.

Also, This thread was made for a reason
<<

N7oler101MC

Dino Warrior

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Thank you, I'll remember that thread next time.
The Slenderman, Or To The Ark and Back Again
<<

Hoody

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:53 am

Some ideas I had for the site. None of this should be taken as offense, because you guys have done a fine job with the site.

In the FAQ section, add the attachment questions to the formatting section, and maybe make the sections collapsable. The page is a clusterluck of links, and it's kind of intimidating to look at.

In the Front Page section, change "most active topic" and "most active forum" to "hours logged" and "number of messages posted." Remove the "posts per day/percentage" information. Remove the subscriptions and draft pages, they're unnecessary. Remove the bookmarks subtab. Instead the "manage bookmarks" page can be it's own page which lists bookmarked topics with the ability to access it from the userbar on the top of the page instead of the user settings page. Managing them can be done on the bookmarks page itself (add a remove topic button next to the topic). Make "manage attachments" it's own tab for quick access. You've now condensed one tab with five subtabs into two tabs and one seperate page for the userbar. Provides quicker access to the important stuff and removes the things that most people will never use.

For the profile tab: Move the "edit signature," and "edit avatar" portions to the "edit profile" portion, and combine "aim/yahoo/etc" into "contact info," which is all on the same page (along with website info). Turn account settings into it's own tab. Remove occupation and location along with birthday. It's irrelevant information that people will share in a post or a chat if they want to. You don't need to know everything about the people you're talking to. Just my two cents.

Force everyone to use "d/M/Y g:i a" for their time settings (looks the best imo). Remove "rules folders and settings" from the private messages tab. Fix outbox/sent messages (they are the same thing, aren't they?) and make it just an outbox. Remove the friends tab, I don't see how any of that is practical given the situation. The community isn't that big and people know each other since most of us use the livechat rather than the boards.

You will have a few more tabs on the side, but the only tab that should have subtabs is "board preferences." It will be easier to customize things and easier for new people to set up their profiles.

Add a link to "topics i've posted in" in the top userbar for a shortcut.

Find someone to spruce up the banner. It's not bad but there are plenty of people who are good at graphic design out there in this day and age. The layout isn't terrible but a new color scheme couldn't hurt imo. Remove the "board index" information from the top of the page, none of it is practical imo. List boards in descending order from most topics to least.

It may all seem like nitpicky unnecessary changes but the easier things are on the eyes, and the more accessible things we use the most are, the more people will keep coming back here. Sometimes when you have the ability to use something (on a website in this instance), you shouldn't always use it. This website functions fine and is easy to use, but it's just a message board for people to post on. Adding in the friends/message redirection options adds in features that make things more complex than they need to be, and it can be overwhelming.

(ps. get the tharol thread out of the slender man forum, put it in "stuff")
Previous

Return to General Information