FAQ  •  Login

Doctor Who

<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:55 am

Doctor Who

Just discuss Doctor Who stuff. Best Companion, best monster, best alien race, best Doctor(David Tennant, don't lie) etc...
:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
All I can remember after I closed my eyes, was that first, it got real loud; then, it got real hot; then it got real slimy; then it got quiet; then it got.... unspeakable. And when I opened my eyes, the pool was empty, and three days had passed.
<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:35 am

Re: Doctor Who

Amy Pond, the Silence, Daleks, David Tennant.

Cookies please.
LPW Thread Wins: 23

Ranked #1 in forum posts, the only Veteran of the Great War. I am Interplosion's Tharol, I am your god

11037 never forget.
<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:38 am

Amy Pond is more than a companion, so either Rose or Donna. Weeping Angels, Time Lords, David Tennant.

MY COOKIES!!!!!!!
All I can remember after I closed my eyes, was that first, it got real loud; then, it got real hot; then it got real slimy; then it got quiet; then it got.... unspeakable. And when I opened my eyes, the pool was empty, and three days had passed.
<<

McWeird007

lodsofeposts

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:56 pm

"I'm actually shitting" -Edward Young, 2015
<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:38 pm

Please, make this happen, let Tennant star..... Please.

ALSO, COME ONE PEOPLE DISCUSS THIS AWESOME SHOW!!!!!
<<

McWeird007

lodsofeposts

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 am

"I'm actually shitting" -Edward Young, 2015
<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:04 am

..................................... ALL OF MY LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:44 am

Favorite companion? Tie between both Amy and Rory. Donna is a close second.

Best monster is easily The Silence.

Best alien race is a tie between whatever Banacafalatta was, and the Adipose.
<<

N7oler101MC

Dino Warrior

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:11 pm

The Slenderman, Or To The Ark and Back Again
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:11 am

I watched Blink and started watching Rose last night. It has begun.
SuperHeroGirl: Always the exception. ALWAYS.
Wins on LPW prior to post count change: 5
Current wins on LPW: 6

<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Randoman96 wrote:Favorite companion? Tie between both Amy and Rory. Donna is a close second.

Best monster is easily The Silence.

Best alien race is a tie between whatever Banacafalatta was, and the Adipose.

FUCKING WATCH THE SIXTH SEASON RANDO SO I CAN EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY AMY IS NOT A NORMAL COMPANION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:10 pm

I just met the Daleks. Hoo boy. On with the marathoning!!

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:13 am

Bumping this thread up because it deserves to be at the top and we need to talk more Doctor Who.

<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:00 am

... Okay. That's the first of that kind of joke that actually got me good.

Ranked #1 in forum posts, the only Veteran of the Great War. I am Interplosion's Tharol, I am your god

11037 never forget.
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:22 am

Now you're getting the hang of it Deimos!

EDIT:

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Found a few things pertaining to Doctor Who on Tumblr that I found impressive and mindblowing. Both will be cut for spoilers, so read at your own risk. I will not be held responsible of you spoil yourself.

First, the impressive:
Spoiler:
My main issue with it is that I feel that they sacrificed character development in the name of insane plot structure and detail.

Unfortunately, I think it was a gamble that didn’t really pay off, because the overall arc of the series was either too vague in spots or totally rushed, and you had all sorts of halted or confused character development going on.

Like River, for example, was definitely fleshed out more and given more dimension, and I liked the darker arc that The Doctor was given.

However, Amy’s development confused me in that her character in The God Complex (an episode which I liked despite this) seemed completely at ends with her character in The Girl Who Waited (an episode which I loved). Both episodes have the theme and idea of Amy becoming ultimately disillusioned with The Doctor, but one had her bitter over it, and the other leaves her more accepting of it. This would have been great if the previous episode was acknowledged in the latter…but it wasn’t really. Almost like the episode never could have taken place and wouldn’t have mattered in the long run, except for possibly not making the bond between Amy and Rory as strong as it was.

Oh, and don’t get me started on how quickly Amy and Rory seemed to have gotten over their missing infant (so what if they know she grows up to be awesome, sexy River; she’s still their daughter and she’s still missing!), or the trainwreck that was the character of Mels…

But Amy’s half-developed character and the other above listed problems are nothing compared to what happened to my poor, sweet Rory.

I remember getting super excited after seeing A Good Man Goes to War (another semi-solid episode, if only for badass Rory and heartstring-tugging River at the end), after seeing that exchange between Rory and the Sontaran general-turned-nurse. Everything seemed to point in the direction of Rory having to make some kind of epic choice: to be a physically strong and brave soldier, or to be an emotionally strong and brave healer.

…And then I knew we were in trouble when his new-found physical bravery and strength were being played for laughs in Let’s Kill Hitler. I mean, sure, the scenes where Rory punches Hitler and the bit with the motorcycle (Amy: “Can you ride a motorbike?” Rory: “I expect so. It’s that kind of day.) were funny and cute, and I just figured that they would get back to Rory’s major upcoming character turning point soon.

AND THEN IT NEVER HAPPENED.

The Rory we end with in Series 6 is sadly similar to the Rory we begin with in Series 5. Yes, he has pockets of extreme character development, but much like my issue with Amy’s “development,” it just seems to mostly be half-baked and half-explored without any actual commitment to developing him in one solid direction.

So what we end up with is multiple half-finished takes on one character, with some of the takes being played straight one episode, and comedic the next. I’m not saying that Rory had to only be used as either a super serious character or as pure comic relief, I’m just saying throughout most of the series, he seems to suffer slightly from the same fate that Martha Jones did: a character who is solid and has moments of development, but leaves the series mostly unchanged with some wasted potential as a character.

And that made me actually pretty annoyed and sad, because I really do like Rory, a lot, and was honestly hyped up for and expecting some kind of major turning point to his character.

I think Moffat tried to focus series 5 on mainly developing Amy, and developing Rory too by proxy by examining their relationship, and though he brought those themes into series 6 too (like I said, The Girl Who Waited is one of my all-time favorites, ever), it just wasn’t done with enough commitment and both Amy and Rory felt more static than dynamic.

River, on the other hand, was barely developed in series 5, but almost all of the character development in series 6 was focused around her. When she was in an episode, she was the episode, and though I was thankful to see her fleshed out, I felt like she is best used in small doses, and felt the character development there was almost too much, or at least too much in such large doses.

The only character who I feel like was developed perfectly was The Doctor, and I definitely preferred Smith’s take on the “dark” Doctor as opposed to Tennant’s.

In my opinion, Moffat’s greatest strength as a writer has been creating incredible plots, while RTD’s was character development.

Because of this, I find some of the RTD era to be a little too heavy on relationships between characters (particularly series 2), and the Moffat era thus far can get quite heavy on plot (the bulk of series 6).

Sometimes, absolute magic can happen with both writers (series 4 and series 5, respectively), where complex and believable but not plot-draggy relationships like Donna and The Doctor can occur (flawless Doctor/Companion pairing there), and twisting and incredibly original plots can enfold that don’t forget about character development (The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang is still my favorite Doctor Who episode/finale ever, including what I’ve seen of Classic Who).

I know a lot of people dislike series 6 because of too much River Song and an overly confusing plot arc.

While these are both valid points that I agree with to certain extents, my main annoyance with this series will still be the inconsistent character development, because without fully fleshed out characters, all of those timey-wimey wonderful (and blunder-ful…) plots mean next to nothing.

(That all being said, I still think Steven Moffat is one of the greatest writers, ever, and series 5 and parts of series 6 are proof of this. My critique of series 6 comes from a place of love, if anything.)

Credit to Doctor Who Problems on Tumblr. Original post that I copied this from, including original content, photos and formatting, can be found here

Second, the mindblowing:
Spoiler:
Captain Jack is the Face of Boe.

Captain Jack cannot die.

Captain Jack was once a Time Agent, or pretends to be one.

Captain Jack wears a vortex manipulator.

Dorium Maldovar sold River a vortex manipulator “fresh off the wrist of a handsome Time Agent.”

Dorium Maldovar works with the Headless Monks from time to time.

The Headless Monks decapitate people.

The Face of Boe is a head with no body.

Credit to Sublime Sublemon on Tumblr. Original post that I copied this from, including original content, photos and formatting, can be found here

<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 pm

<<

N7oler101MC

Dino Warrior

Post Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:44 pm

I love it! I love it! I love it!
The Slenderman, Or To The Ark and Back Again
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:25 am

Not sure which thread this should go in, but it needs to be here on this board somewhere.

<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:12 pm

OMG RAINBOW DALEK!!!!

11037 never forget.
Next

Return to TV/Movies