FAQ  •  Login

SHG's Weight Loss and Health Journey

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:36 am

SHG's Weight Loss and Health Journey

I figured that it would be excellent motivation for me to keep a record somewhere of my attempt at losing 100 pounds in 2 years. As I have mentioned in the chat, I am going to the gym every other day and doing a workout on the elliptical, recumbent bike and stationary bike. Once the pool is re-opened, I will be adding water aerobics and swimming to my exercise regimen. Because of issues I have with my ankles and knees, I am limited to only these exercises for now because they're low impact and will build up the strength in my legs enough so, that when I lose enough weight, I'll be able to expand the types of exercise I can do to moderate impact and, eventually, high impact.

Additionally, I'm using an application called My Plate on the Livestrong website to track my caloric intake. Over the course of the last 5 days, I've noticed that I alternate between over-consuming calories and eating within the range I'm supposed to, but I've also noticed a downward trend in calories consumed.

I'm not going to be super-annoying and write out what I eat on a daily basis, because that's what I have the My Plate app for, but I will probably track calories consumed vs. calories burned, and what I exercised with and for how long. Feel free to respond to this post with words of encouragement or constructive criticism, but please refrain from being insulting because the last thing I need here is discouragement.

So far, here are my stats:
Starting weight: 264 (work scale), 258 (doctor's scale).
Started working out on Tuesday 7/3/2012; did 10 minutes elliptical, 10 minutes recumbent bike and 10 minutes various weight machines. Calories consumed, 2186; calories burned, 412.
7/4/12, non-gym day; Calories consumed, 3986; calories burned, 643 (I spent a good chunk of the day walking around the mall).
7/5/12, did 15 minutes elliptical, 15 minutes recumbent bike. Calories consumed, 2571; calories burned, 1242 (I also did a lot of walking around this day between various appointments and going to the mall again).
7/6/12, non-gym day; Calories consumed, 3150; calories burned, 0 (I did nothing of note this day that I could put into the app).
7/7/12, did 30 minutes elliptical, 15 minutes recumbent bike, 15 minutes stationary bike; Calories consumed, 1688; calories burned, 937.
7/8/12, non-gym day; Calories consumed, 2991; calories burned, 78 (did some walking around boston and up and down a lot of stairs).

When I weighed myself on Friday after 2 workouts, my work scale said I weight 261.5, so, allegedly, I'm already down 2.5 pounds. I'm going to try not to weight myself as often because then I'll become too focused on the numbers, but when I do, I'll record it here.
SuperHeroGirl: Always the exception. ALWAYS.
Wins on LPW prior to post count change: 5
Current wins on LPW: 6

<<

Riovas

Honored One

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Re: SHG's Weight Loss and Health Journey

This is a great idea! Does the app also take into consideration vitamins or protein? it may be a good idea to track that and determine "good" calories from "bad" calories.
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:38 pm

This is awesome, we're wigh every step of the way!
Captain of the Interplosion Night Watch/Hate Guard. First to be banned.

Glorious victories in LPW thread: 15 and one as Pravado

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:17 pm

Rio: it tracks calories, fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbs, fiber, protein and sugars.

Deimos: Thanks! It means a lot coming from you because you're hot.

I'm considering taking progress pictures and posting them here to see the changes in my body instead of focusing on the number on the scale.

Anyways, on to today's stats:
7/8/12, did 30 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes recumbent bike, 10 minutes stationary bike; Calories consumed, 2236; calories burned, 1065.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Daily Stats for 7/10/12, non-gym day; Calories consumed, 2475, calories burned, 0 (no activity worth noting today).

An entire week has passed since going to the gym and tracking my daily caloric intake and I've noticed that I vary wildly on a day to day basis on how many calories I consume. I once caught an episode of Dr. Oz that suggested that doing something similar to this method intentionally was a great idea because it keeps your metabolism on it's toes. That may be, but I'm realizing that I still need to cut down on calories in a big way. Originally, the LiveStrong MyPlate app assigned me 2030 calories to consume daily based on my age, weight, activity level and my weekly weight loss goal. After completing this week, it's assigned me a new daily caloric goal of 1593/day.

This first week, as far as tracking my caloric intake, has been something of an experimental run to see where I'm going wrong with how I eat. It's clear that, when I had increased my fiber intake, I ate a lot more balanced and healthy. I think it's time I re-visit my eating habits from back then. I've completely cut out soda, and, other than one iced coffee a few days a week, I'm drinking mostly water, so that's already a huge improvement for me.

This coming week is going to prove to be a trying and interesting one because I'm going to attempt to gradually change my eating habits rather than doing it all at once like I did in the past. This should mean a gradual change in calories consumed daily, as well a a more consistent showing of daily calories consumed rather than the rollercoaster effect I've been getting.

<<

Riovas

Honored One

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:56 pm

Yeah a gradual change is much much better than a sudden change (mentally and physically). Have you read up on about times to eat? I know that if I eat dinner within an hour of going to bed ill gain a bit over night
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:29 pm

I have not, Rio, but my brother told me it's best not to eat after 6pm, which is going to be a problem for me since I don't get out of work on a normal weekday until about 6pm, (sometimes later), and then it takes me a while to get home because I take the bus.

I decided I'm going to start by changing my lunches to Lean Cuisines and Smart Ones and eventually work my way up to homemade salads. I'm going to try my hardest to have small snacks between meals. This will be difficult because I don't get any sort of break between meals and whether I can snack depends largely on how a day goes at the clinic. If I have to, I'll set alarms on my phone that remind me to snack.

Next, I think I'll start making time to eat breakfast at home. When I eat it at work, oftentimes it's not the healthiest of breakfasts, it's costly, and sometimes I don't even get to eat it until closer to lunch time, which is no good since I'm technically doubling up on meals and the times I eat are all over the place.

Dinner is going to be the meal hardest to change. It will require both myself and my husband to make changes. My husband is the one who does most of the food preparation and he often relies on things that are easy and quick to make and also tends to wait until later in the evening to prepare dinner, sometimes even just before bed. One of the issues is that my husband usually doesn't even get home until 6:15 and that's granted he's not running late or doesn't have errands to run. When he gets home, the first thing he has to do is feed the cats and then he likes to unwind a bit, not jump right into cooking. We do, however, have a slow cooker that we could probably utilize a bit more. We could set it in the morning so that dinner is ready when we get home. The other option would be to prep meals the night before and just put it to cook when we get home.

So there's a little outline of a plan I've been toying around with. Any thoughts?

<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:34 am

Unfortunately I know almost nothing about healthy eating and such, so I can only offer support. Woo, go SHG! All change is hard but pays in the long run.
Captain of the Interplosion Night Watch/Hate Guard. First to be banned.

Glorious victories in LPW thread: 15 and one as Pravado

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:40 am

If you're ever interested in learning about healthy eating, might I recommend the Eat This, Not That series of books? They're awesome and I loosely used the information in them to make better decisions on eating.

<<

MarikTbone

Fresh Off The Boat

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:01 pm

on the eating after 6 thing, people have really narrowed it down to "no eating within 3 hours of going to bed"...so it really depends on your sleep schedule. Good luck honey! It sounds like you're doing really well so far!
“The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.”
-Dorothy Parker

Oh hey, look at this fun little thing you totally should check out/follow.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Daily Stats for 7/11/12, did 30 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes recumbent bike, 10 minutes stationary bike; Calories consumed, 2387; calories burned, 1065.

I need to find a way to not consume as many calories in a day. Not even sure how I'm managing to get so far above 2000 calories so often. To be fair, I ate a lot more today than I should have.

<<

Riovas

Honored One

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:08 pm

considering you were close to 4000 calories when you started, I'd say you're doing a fine job of slowly dropping calories
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:34 pm

Daily Stats for 7/12/12, non-gym day; Calories consumed, 1188; calories burned, 283 (just walking around doing errands like grocery shopping).

SUPER proud of myself today for calories consumed, even though it was under the bare minimum of 1200 calories/day. This was accomplished by eating a Lean Cuisine for lunch and not eating out - I had breakfast, lunch and dinner at home. I managed to accomplish this, even having satisfied two different cravings today - the first was pineapple, the second, tacos. And I had 2 tacos for dinner, (ground turkey, not beef) and an ice cream sandwich.

I managed to get some food shopping down, as mentioned above, and got a good number of lunches for the coming week, as well as breakfast to eat instead of buying it in the morning. Feeling pretty good about things right now.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Daily Stats for 7/13/12, did 30 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes recumbent bike, 10 minutes stationary bike; Calories consumed, 2126; calories burned, 1065.

Tried to eat more frequent smaller meals today but it did not work in my favor and I went over daily calories assigned. I had breakfast at home - two packets of oatmeal, which I'm going to cut down to only one. I also had a Larabar and cheese stick for morning snack, I'm only going to do the Larabar now, and a yogurt and salsa pita crisps for afternoon snack, I'm going to do either one or the other, but not both. Hopefully this method would help.

That being said, I'm sore and exhausted, so I'm going to call it a night soon.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:58 pm

Daily Stats for 7/14/12, non-gym day; Calories consumed, 1809; calories burned, 0 (no activity worth noting today).

Kept the calories under 2000, but still went over my daily assigned calories of 1593. Being able to eat frequently and keep the calories within the limit is proving rather difficult, but I'm sure I'll find a balance soon. This is a largely experimental stage.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Daily Stats for 7/15/12, did 20 minutes recumbent bike, 10 minutes stair climber, 15 minutes elliptical and 15 minutes stationary bike; also walked around grocery shopping for about 15 minutes; Calories consumed, 1647; calories burned, 1124.

Today was a struggle for a few different reasons. One, I was so inexplicably exhausted yesterday that I slept more than usual. I took a 2 hour nap when I got home from work, woke up to eat, struggled to stay awake, fell asleep again from 9 or 10 until 4am, woke up and moved to the living room because it was too hot in the bedroom, slept out there for an hour, woke up and moved back to the bedroom, and had trouble getting up with my alarm because I couldn't keep my eyes open. I grabbed breakfast and forced myself to the gym and felt much better after working out.

The second challenge was getting enough calories today without eating horribly. I've decided to get at least 1500/day, which is just about the assigned daily calories I've been given. At one point, I had apparently burned more calories than I'd consumed and, even with dinner, I was under 1100 calories. With the help of some rice & butter and an ice cream sandwich, I was able to get more calories in.

Speaking of calories, I'm starting to doubt the verisimilitude of the LiveStrong calorimeter when it comes to calories burned. The number always seems too high for what I've done, so I purchased a heart rate and caloric monitor watch from Amazon.com that I should get this week. Hopefully I'll get a more accurate reading with it, (or be proven wrong and see that LiveStrong is correct).

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Daily Stats for 7/16/12, non-gym day; Calories consumed, 1595 (only 2 calories over goal!!!); calories burned, 0 (no activity worth noting today).

I bought a water dispenser with filter today in an effort to drink more water and spend less money, can't wait to get it! Extremely happy that I'm ending the day only 2 calories over goal. My husband made AMAZING barbeque chicken for dinner with sauteed summer squash. My tummy is very happy.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:09 am

Daily Stats for 7/17/12, did 20 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes recumbent bike, 10 minutes stair climber, and 10 minutes stationary bike; also walked around grocery shopping for about 15 minutes (again); Calories consumed, 1688; calories burned, 1126.

Starting to really doubt the calorie tracker on LiveStrong because my Nike+ app said I only burned 93 calories - quite a difference. Hopefully when I get the HRM/calorie counter watch, I'll get a more accurate reading.

Also, the pool re-opens at the gym tomorrow and I'm extremely excited about it. I can finally take some of the stress off my legs by swimming. Almost tempted to go today just to be able to swim, but I'll wait until Thursday like a good girl. One thing I'm considering is going to the gym every day now and, on the even days, swimming. Something to think about.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:36 am

Daily Stats for 7/18/12, non-gym day; Calories consumed, 2110; calories burned, 0 (no activity worth noting today).

I made an AMAZING dinner last night of cheese-stuffed turkey burgers, served bread-less on a bed of romaine lettuce with a side of lightly buttered jasmiine rice. It pushed me over my daily calorie goal, but it was totally worth it. Also, I still did much better than a nearly 4000 calorie day.

Additionally: POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:35 am

Daily Stats for 7/19/12, did 5 minutes stair climber, 15 minutes elliptical, 15 minutes recumbent bike, 5 more minutes stair climber, 8 minutes treadmill and 12 minutes stationary bike; also walked around grocery shopping for about 10 minutes (again); Calories consumed, 1921; calories burned, 998.

I'm starting to get bored at the gym and my legs are becoming fatigued from all the legwork I've been doing. I looked into getting a personal trainer to vary things, but it's not in the budget right now.

Sadly, the pool was not open when I went to the gym. It was open for a half day and the city shut it down again until they can inspect it, so that made the workout even harder because I had expected to do a half hour of swimming and a half hour of machines, so I struggled through my workout since I had to do more on the machines than I had originally planned. I think when I go tomorrow, I'm going to try some weight machines and do some arm work to keep myself from struggling and losing interest.

Next

Return to Stuff