FAQ  •  Login

SHG's Weight Loss and Health Journey

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:25 am

Re: SHG's Weight Loss and Health Journey

Daily Stats for 7/20/12, non-gym day; Calories consumed, 1994; calories burned, 0, (no activity worth noting today)

I'm surprised at my calories consumed number because the hubs and I went to see TDKR and I felt that I had been so good about keeping my calories down that I deserved to have a little treat and had about half a medium bag of buttered popcorn and a small chocolate ice cream at the movies and still came in under 2000 calories. I don't even care that I'm 401 calories over goal because I didn't expect at all, with the popcorn and ice cream, to come in under 2000.

Out of nowhere, I seem to have developed some sort of lower sinus infection and, as a result, I'm congested and it hurts to swallow. I wouldn't even have thought it was related to my sinuses but I coughed up some gnarly phlegm, (sorry!), earlier that made me think otherwise. Part of me just wants to go home and rest today instead of going to the gym, but I know from experience that working out can actually help clear up congestion, so I'm going anyways. I'm probably going to lose a day of going to the gym this week, or go two days in a row, so that, on Friday, I can go to trivia and to dinner with my husband and his co-workers.
SuperHeroGirl: Always the exception. ALWAYS.
Wins on LPW prior to post count change: 5
Current wins on LPW: 6

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Daily stats for 7/21/12, did 15 minutes free weights with leg and ab focus (weight machines and light weight-lifting), 15 minutes elliptical, 15 minutes recumbent bike, 6 minutes stationary bike, 9 minutes free weights with arm focus, 10 minutes swimming (5 laps, various swim styles); Calories consumed, 2812; calories burned, 931.

My calorie count today is high because I went out for dinner. Going out versus making dinner at home makes such a difference. I'll be back to normal eating habits tomorrow.

As you can see, the pool was open today. I wasn't aware of this until I had already completed an hour long workout, but I wanted to get in the pool, so I did some brief swimming. It was great!!!

I also switched things up a bit and did some weight training today to take some of the strain off my knees. They're still sore and painful, but it's subsiding. Not to mention that weight training, in combination with cardio, is what boosts your metabolism and promotes loss of fat, (and gaining of muscle, of course). I have to find out of the gym, even though they changed over, will honor some left over personal training sessions I had with Bally's so I can get some ideas on other things to do.

I feel as though I'm starting to get a bit smaller in my middle because I noticed it was easier to get out of the recumbent bike today when, before, it was a little difficult.

<<

Dawnkitty7

lodsofeposts

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:17 am

Keep up the good work! I'm cheering for you!
CHEEZBURGERS
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Daily stats for 7/22/12, did 15 minutes recumbent bike, 15 minutes elliptical, and 30 minutes free style swimming. Calories consumed, 1910; calories burned, 897.

Went to the gym yesterday despite being as sick as a dog. At one point I think I was hallucinating and didn't feel like I was really at the gym and working out. The water from the pool felt nice on my skin and I enjoyed my half hour of swimming immensely.

I've been so sick that I left work early today and I hope I'm well enough to go tomorrow because I would hate to break my stride since I'm doing so well.

I worked out two days in a row because Friday would have been a gym day, but Steve invited me out, so I figured I'd move things around a bit so I'd be free on Friday after work. It worked out in my favor since I'm sick.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Daily stats for 7/23/12, non-gym day. Calories consumed, 1801; calories burned, 0 (no activity worth noting today).

Been sick. Sleeping in effort to get better. Feel too terrible to use full sentences. Calorie Count high because I had a chocolate frappe (milkshake to non-New Englanders), for lunch. Deal with it. Or something.

Need to get calorie count down more if I want to lose weigh. Bleh.

<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Your calorie count is below 2000, I dont think you should worry as much about it as you think.
LPW Thread Wins: 23

Ranked #1 in forum posts, the only Veteran of the Great War. I am Interplosion's Tharol, I am your god

11037 never forget.
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:01 pm

Daily stats for 7/24/12, did 30 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes free weights for arms, legs and abs, and 10 minutes recumbent bike. Calories consumed, 1824; calories burned, 865.

Had my first therapy session today and went to the gym before the appt. I felt much better today than yesterday, but I'm pretty tired, so not much of a blogg-y type post tonight.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:18 am

UPDATE!!!!

Out of curiosity, I weighed myself on the work scale today. I am 260.4 pounds. In 4 weeks, I have lost 4.3 pounds, (I was, in actuality, weighing in at 264.7 on my work scale when I started). That's a little more than a pound per week. My ultimate goal is to drop 2 pounds a week, though I know it might take a bit less calories and a bit more vigorous exercise to get there, I'm happy with the trend of 1 pound a week for the moment because it's better than no progress at all.

<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:57 pm

That's amazing progress, SHG! Any visible progress so soon after beginning is good progress, in my book.
LPW Thread Wins: 23

Ranked #1 in forum posts, the only Veteran of the Great War. I am Interplosion's Tharol, I am your god

11037 never forget.
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:33 am

Daily stats for 7/25/12, non-gym day; Calories consumed, 2279; Calories burned, 0, (no activity worth noting today).

Calories consumed is high because I celebrated 4.3 pounds lost by ordering out last night. Big mistake because I ended up feeling gross afterwards, so that's the last time I do that. From now on, if Steve doesn't feel like cooking, I will make an attempt to cook for myself.

Also, I finally received my sportswatch, so, hopefully, calories burned will be more accurate now. I plan on trying it out today at the gym.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:37 am

Daily stats for 7/26/12, did 30 minutes freestyle swimming (various strokes), 10 minutes free weights, 10 minutes elliptical, 10 minutes recumbent bike. Calories consumed, 1625; Calories burned 727.

Apparently, LiveStrong's calories burned calculator isn't as off as I had thought. While it's off for what I burned during a workout only, it's almost spot-in with how many calories I burn in a day. According to my Sports Watch, from the time I went to the gym to the time I settled down at home after running around yesterday, I burned 728 calories. That covers the entire day, though, not including when I went food-shopping, so it's possible I burned even more calories. Yesterday I only spent about an hour at home during the day. I went grocery shopping, home to put the groceries away, back out to the gym, from the gym to the spa, back home to drop off my gym bag and grab lunch, to Trader Joe's to get a few organic things cheap, straight to the hairdressers, then back home and back to the hairdresser's because I had left my watch there. So that's where the 728 calories came from.

Today, I've burned 138 so far, just from standing and walking and what-have-you. This watch is super-neat. Also, my hair is super-short, (at least by my standards).

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:44 am

Daily Stats for 7/27/12, non-gym day. Calories consumed: 1865; Calories burned, 517.

Apparently, even on my non-gym days, I burn quite a bit of calories, although, to be fair, I did go for a ten minute walk around the block at lunch yesterday, so that needs to be factored in. I love my trusty new sports watch because I can find out how many, if any, calories I'm burning even by just doing things at work. It's nice to know that I'm still losing calories even when I'm not going to the gym.

Also, calories are a bit higher than I'd like to see them, albeit still under 2000, because we had Wendy's for dinner last night and my husband also brought me home chocolate covered pretzels as a token of apology for me missing out on trivia last night. I had 6 pretzels as per the serving size suggestion, and it was 200 calories! I get that much in a whole meal at lunch.

On top of everything, my work scale says I'm down another 5 pounds. Not sure how accurate that is, but I assume pretty close because it's a scale we use every day for weighing animals and it's perfectly calibrated. This means that I'm under 260 pounds now and well on my way to being under 250.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:04 am

Daily stats for 7/28/12, did 15 minutes free weights, 11 minutes recumbent bike, 11 minutes elliptical, 11 minutes stair cllimber, and 12 minutes vigorous swimming. Calories consumed, 2016; Calories burned, 1016.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:47 pm

Daily stats for 7/29/12, non-gym day. Calories consumed, 1701; Calories burned, 419.

Did food shopping today with the husband and now we have a fully stocked kitchen and we had an amazing dinner of chile lime encrusted swai, (white fish, slightly sweet, a bit like flounder), with roasted red bliss potatoes and green beans in a rosemary butter sauce.

I really feel like I'm aware of the slight changes in my body shape, even if my husband doesn't seem to notice them. My new jeans, both pairs, fit snugly when I first got them and now they're both fitting looser.

I think that when I reach the first milestone of 25 pounds lost, I should reward myself somehow. I'm thinking of getting my nose pierced. Fifty pounds is a new dress, 75 and 100 I haven't come up with ideas yet, (though I promised the husband that if I get to 100lbs lost, I'll wear tighter clothes and get lingerie). I'm open to ideas!

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:22 am

Daily stats for 7/30/12, did 20 minutes moderate freestyle swimming, 10 minutes stair step machine (cross-trainer), 14 minutes free weights/nautilus machines, 6 minutes elliptical and 15 minutes stationary bike. Calories consumed, 2121; Calories burned, 1092.

We had a Lunch & Learn yesterday and the woman brought pizza from Papa Gino's, so I had one slice. I feel like I overcompensated as far as eating is concerned and was craving protein like a fiend after my workout yesterday. Thankfully, Steve had made BBQ Burgers with smoked gouda and arugula for dinner and it really hit the spot.

Tonight I think we're doing something with ground turkey, cheese and breading. Should be interesting.

I'm having SO MUCH FUN with food lately.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:38 am

Daily Stats for 7/31/12, non-gym day. Calories consumed, 1630; Calories burned, 571.

I've been questioning the verisimilitude of the calorie readings I'm getting off my watch. At the same time, I have 3 sources giving me around the same readings of calories burned in a day, so I don't know what to believe. Perhaps I'm burning calories so efficiently because I'm starting out doing this as an obese person, when I work out, I do it as vigorously as I can without causing myself pain, and my heart rate gets pretty high, (sometimes I even have trouble getting it down from being too high because I can't seem to slow down my workout when I get into a good pace). I think that the calories burned function on my watch works in correlation with my heart rate, so it must fluctuate quite a bit during the day as I move around at work and whatnot. Perhaps I should do an experiment and wear the watch for a long period of time where I don't do anything and see what readings I get.

For now, I'm going to take things at face value. Also, I think I'm about to hit a plateau, but I won't know until next week when I weigh myself. At that point I'm going to decrease my exercise and do it every 3rd day and eat slightly more until I break the plateau.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:40 am

Whoops...skipped a day.

Daily Stats for August 1, 2012, did 30 minutes elliptical, 20 minutes recumbent bike and 10 minutes stationary bike. Calories consumed, 1957; Calories burned, 872.

Daily Stats for August 2, 2012, non-gym day. Calories consumed, 1550; Calories burned, 503.

I switched from LiveStrong's My Plate App to the My Fitness Pal app. There's quite a difference in calories between the two sites. I'm not sure which is more accurate, but I like that, with My Fitness pal, you have a ticker plus other tools, (you can see the ticker in my signature). Also, you can add friends and see each other's progress, which is sort of neat. I'm still tracking on My Plate for now, in addition to My Fitness Pal, but I'll be using the stats from my Fitness Pal, especially because it lets me enter in my own calories burned, (something LiveStrong's My Plate does not allow you to do), so I know at least that number will be more accurate based on what my watch read out is at the end of the day.

Speaking of my watch read out, it seems like, on the days I don't work out, I average about 500 calories burned. Not sure why that is, but those are the stats from my watch, so it seems legit, (although I caught a few heart rate readings that were inaccurate yesterday).

Also, I'm almost certain I'm in a plateau right now, and this is where the true test comes in. Every other time I hit a plateau is when I got frustrated and gave up, but this time feels different. I just need to figure out how to break it and get through it this time instead of quitting.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:46 am

Whoops, skipped 4 days...

Daily Stats for 8/3/12, did 15 minutes free weights, 15 minutes elliptical, 15 minutes recumbent bike, 15 minutes stair machine, 15 minutes stationary bike and 15 minutes freestyle swimming. Calories consumed, 2547; Calories burned 1117.

Daily Stats for 8/4/12, non-gym day. Calories consumed, 1888, Calories burned, 487.

Daily Stats for 8/5/12, did 15 minutes free weights, 20 minutes elliptical and 30 minutes freestyle swimming. Calories consumed, 2143, Calories burned, 843

Daily Stats for 8/6/12, non-gym day. Calories consumed, 1828; Calories burned, 609

Well, looks like I fell a bit behind in the insanity that took place at work between doing a project than having to un-do it. That’s all I wish to really say on the matter.

I got a new sports watch that is slimmer and more feminine. If I’m not mistaken, it only measures calories when I workout, which is a bit of a bummer, but I like it better than the one I had been using. Maybe now my calories burned will seem a bit more accurate to people who were questioning it. At least I know that, on average, I burn about 500 calories more than my watch will read, so I can calculate that in on my own.

I’m not really feeling like going to the gym today, but tonight is aqua fitness, which I want to get in on, so I’m going anyways. Besides, if I stop now, I’m just going to give into the plateau I’ve hit and probably quit again, which I don’t want to do this time around.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:55 am

Daily Stats for 8/7/12, did 40 minutes of water aerobics and 30 minutes of Zumba fitness. Calories consumed, 1813; Calories burned; 831.

So the Aqua Fitness class is finally back at the gym, so I went to that last night. Tried out Zumba as well until my ankle rolled and I decided that I was done for the night. I got in a good half an hour at least. I pretty much discovered that I have no rhythm and can't dance, but screw it, I had fun and worked up a good sweat. I might even do it again.

I'm also going to try Cycling class and yoga in the next week. I figure that my gym membership allows me access to these things, why not take advantage of them, especially because it will offer something different from the machines.

Speaking of something different, I have a training session tomorrow, I have feeling I'm going to be sore on Friday because they paired me up with the head trainer and he's HUGE. Mommy, I'm scared.

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:47 am

Daily Stats for 8/8/12, non-gym day. Calories consumed, 1588; Calories burned, approx. 503 (I have to estimate now since my new watch doesn't do it automatically).

Daily Stats for 8/9/12, one hour of person training, 40 minutes boxing, 15 minutes free weights and lunges, 5 minutes stretching. Calories consumed, 2221; Calories burned, 811.

Daily Stats for 8/10/12, non-gym day. Calories consumed, 2728; Calories burned, approx. 498.

I royally screwed up on Friday but I can't let that hang over my head, I can't undo it, I just need to keep moving forward. Maybe I'll do an hour and a half workout today.

PreviousNext

Return to Stuff