FAQ  •  Login

A very special time and place to be a part of

<<

Tao

Occasional Poster

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:19 pm

A very special time and place to be a part of

REPOSTING TO CONTINUE THE DISCUSSION!

Anyone who knows me well (which sadly, is not a tonne of people on this forum) knows that I like to keep myself informed on current/world events/politics. With everything going on in the world now-a-days, I think it's easy to feel like the end is neigh.

At this very moment, wars are ending where new ones are starting. Millions of the needy around the world or protesting against the greedy. Religions are stacking themselves against each other, constantly dick measuring while they decree war using G--d as a guise for their prejudice.

My favourite author, Hunter Thompson, wrote this about the sixties, during the height of the Vietnam War and the Hippie movement:

"..a Main Era—the kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run ...but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant ...

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bullshit, but even without being sure of "history" it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened...

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda .... You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning ....

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave ....

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark —that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

Anyone who's read the book will recognize that as the most important passage from "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" - arguably, Thompson's most important piece of work. I think about it whenever I regard the times I live in today. I feel like something very big is coming from the young people of our generation, and I want to know what some people here think.

Do you think this is a great time to be alive, to make a difference? Or... are we all doomed to be nuked into oblivion by the people who despise us?
Tao - the voice of reason and the dispenser of sage wisdom
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:10 am

Re: A very special time and place to be a part of

Should I just copy my other post over?
Captain of the Interplosion Night Watch/Hate Guard. First to be banned.

Glorious victories in LPW thread: 15 and one as Pravado

<<

Tao

Occasional Poster

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:33 am

You can if you'd like. I'm putting this here because I remember a few other people saying they wanted to respond too. Seeing as your response was pretty kickass, you probably should.
Tao - the voice of reason and the dispenser of sage wisdom
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:42 am

Yes Deimos, you should. Yours was one of the best and most comprehensive yet and it really does deserve to be brought over here for future Interplosionaries to see.
SuperHeroGirl: Always the exception. ALWAYS.
Wins on LPW prior to post count change: 5
Current wins on LPW: 6

<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:48 am

Alritey then:

I think it is a great time to be alive and young. In many ways the world and all it's people are more closely linked then ever before and better for it. The fact that can I sit here in Sydney, Australia and argue with Randoman96 in Logansport, Indiana and Adam111 in Somewhere, England about ponies attests to that. We are more socially conscious then ever, movements such as Los Indignados in Spain and your guys own Occupy Wall Street. These weren't movements or protests organised by dusty old men (although they came to support them) but by us, the younger generations.

It is a fact that the current young generations, particularly Y, are the most well educated, tolerant and creative. War will change ( In the last hundred years we've gone from large scale battles between clearly defined armies to almost going back to the farmers fighting superpowers era of ancient Rome and Greece) but it will never end. Statistically we're living in the most peaceful era ever, the number of wars has dropped dramastically since WW2. No major, democratic, state power will fight, let alone nuke, another in this day and age. How can they? If America were to nuke China it's economy would crumble and it's the same vice versa. If North Korea nuked or invaded South the political backlash will be too great to withstand, not to mention the retaliation of every country in the surrounding area.

We live amongst the most socially conscious, intelligent and creative youth the Earth has seen so far. Our ways of thinking and living are changing every day, with the social revolution that is things like facebook, the anarchic freedom of 4chan and the current cultural revolutions in England, Spain, America and many othercountries.The world is too connected, be it socially through the Internet, politically through RGOs (Regional Government Organisations such as the European Union or Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum) or economically through the markets for any major war to break out or the nukes to get a flying. If terrorists were going to utilise nuclear, biological or chemical attacks they would have already.

TL:DR Mainly rambling about how the world might be slightly unstable but damn am I happy to be living in this time.

<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:50 pm

Guys, Kim Jong-il is dead.

<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:45 pm

First Osama, now Kim Jong Il.
LPW Thread Wins: 23

Ranked #1 in forum posts, the only Veteran of the Great War. I am Interplosion's Tharol, I am your god

11037 never forget.
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:08 pm

It's ok though! Kim Jong-Un is a sure bet for next leader and he's even crazier!

<<

N7oler101MC

Dino Warrior

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Deimos wrote:Guys, Kim Jong-il is dead.

You know what the best part of this is?

As I read this the ending celebration scene from Return of the Jedi was playing on the t.v. behind me.
The Slenderman, Or To The Ark and Back Again
<<

InHABITED

Land Shark

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:18 pm

Last edited by InHABITED on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:31 pm

Now that Kim Jong-il is dead, his son Kim Jong-W-il will take over.

Spoiler:
the joke had to be made
All I can remember after I closed my eyes, was that first, it got real loud; then, it got real hot; then it got real slimy; then it got quiet; then it got.... unspeakable. And when I opened my eyes, the pool was empty, and three days had passed.
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:37 am

I am disappoint in today's youth, (with those of IP being the exception), because I saw SO MANY posts on Twitter of people asking who Kim Jong-Il is/was. Are we, (the collective we, of course), really sheltered to the point that we will happily allow ourselves to be spoonfed bullshit so that we remain willfully ignorant?
SuperHeroGirl: Always the exception. ALWAYS.
Wins on LPW prior to post count change: 5
Current wins on LPW: 6

<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:38 am

Yeah I don't understand how THAT MANY PEOPLE don't know who he is. Jebus christums.
<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:01 pm

SuperHeroGirl wrote:I am disappoint in today's youth, (with those of IP being the exception), because I saw SO MANY posts on Twitter of people asking who Kim Jong-Il is/was. Are we, (the collective we, of course), really sheltered to the point that we will happily allow ourselves to be spoonfed bullshit so that we remain willfully ignorant?

It's actually more towards, "In other news reagrding North Korea.... Yep, Kim is still crazy. Nothing else to report. And now look at this cat!" I cannot legitimately remember the last time North Korea was on the news for anything other than "Yep, Kim is still crazy"
All I can remember after I closed my eyes, was that first, it got real loud; then, it got real hot; then it got real slimy; then it got quiet; then it got.... unspeakable. And when I opened my eyes, the pool was empty, and three days had passed.
<<

Riovas

Honored One

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:54 am

The past two years Kim has been dicking around with short range missiles, and their were rumors he got his hands on nuclear missiles which would breach some sort of protocol or agreement with the UN. It's true he isn't on the news for long, but there's been a few reports especially if you watch international news since China is the closest thing to an ally that NK has, and SK is our ally
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Whatever happened to Tao?

<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:00 am

I guess she just kinda disappeared. I've considered contacting some of the older members like Tao and ToxicityLevel to see where they are and how they're doing.
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:01 am

Do it. We must reclaim our fallen, if only so we have a body to bury.

<<

Riovas

Honored One

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:12 pm

What if they're alive? are we gonna bury them then? Shouldn't they like fight to the death first or something?
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:39 pm

We'll bury them alive then dig them out an hour later, as punishment for abondoning us

Next

Return to Debate