FAQ  •  Login

An idea for a different kind of Mass Effect 3 fanfic.

<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:29 pm

An idea for a different kind of Mass Effect 3 fanfic.

OH MY GOD NICK MADE A TOPIC FOR ONCE HELL FROZE OVER.

But no seriously. I come to you all with an idea and a possible proposition. I would like to gauge interest of this idea before I get started on it.

Now, before I continue, I haven't played ANY Mass Effect DLC, and it seems that the only way I'll be able to at all is by getting the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 or if Bioware releases an "ultimate edition" of ME2 with the DLC. Getting the PS3 version isn't too far out of the question for me, since ME2's got such a good story I wouldn't mind replaying it, plus it's cheap now. ( I know about the motion comic thing that allows you to make your ME1 choices, but I don't know if it's on-disc or if I have to download it. That could be a deal-maker or a deal-breaker.)

Well, as I near the end of Mass Effect 2 and continuously hear negative things regarding the end of Mass Effect 3 which is putting me off of it (the fact that Bioware wants to release DLC to fix/continue the ending doesn't really appease me right now since I have no present way to access XBL or PSN), an idea strikes me: Since I only know certain parts about what happens in 3, and since it may be a while before I play 3, a few months at least, I was considering writing a fanfic of my own "Mass Effect 3".

Now, if the idea makes you cringe, know a few things first:

1. Most importantly, I want to be as faithful to the universe of Mass Effect as possible. That means replaying both games to find information on planets and choices I may not have paid a great deal of attention to my first couple times around, trying to make the returning cast as faithful to their personalities as I possibly can. I also have the Mass Effect wiki to go by, as well. If anyone messages me and says something like "That wouldn't be what Thane would say" or " You forgot that Joker has Vrolik's syndrome, apparently, because he just slapped his knee while he was laughing and probably broke it." and offers constructive criticism, then I'm perfectly willing to rewrite the entire chapter if I have to so I can fix my mistakes.
Only if the people can provide me with good enough criticism and evidence though. I don't want to change a bunch of things I don't consider to be a problem based solely on opinion (Shepard's choice of romantic interest for example).

2. There will be OCs, but I want them to make sense as well. No god-mode sues, no marty stus, no really overpowered mega-gods of characters. I want them each to have their own unique personalities and quirks, just like the cast in both games, but I want them to be fallible as well. No uber hot girls or guys that will instantly woo Shepard over by looks and a tragic backstory alone within the first five minutes. (Besides, my male Shepard's with Tali right now, and that may carry over, though the romance won't be a dominating factor.)

3. I want to use what I know about the events of Mass Effect 3 in the fic, but I want to put my own spin on them. Certain events will still probably happen, but they may happen differently. To those wondering about the Reaper invasion, I say "Duh, that'll happen". If it didn't, that'd be a dick move on my part.

4. If I get Mass Effect 3 during the course of writing this fanfic out (I plan on it being rather long, so it's possible), and if I like certain events in it enough, then I will do my best to incorporate those into the story as long as they don't interfere too much in events I've already set in motion. If not, the fic continues the way I planned.

5. There will be shout outs. I already have an idea on a Doctor Who shout-out.

6. I want to try and incorporate things from the gameplay of the series into the fanfic as well. Perhaps brief interludes between certain chapters where Shepard's walking around and overhears a random conversation, or through cutting off someone mid-speech like they were using an interrupt. There'll be a mix of 'paragon' and 'renegade' choices in there as well, given that Shepard may be prone to more Renegade options due to the stress of the Reaper invasion weighing on his nerves, so he may not be willing to put up with Udina, the Flotilla, or any squabbling allies without snapping at them. Or punching them in the face. I imagine Shep wouldn't be as calm as he/she's mostly been in ME1 and 2 if he/she were Paragon.

That's about it for the pitch.
Now, if the Mass Effect players among you enjoy this premise then I have a proposition:

I'd like to put the chapters of the story up on here first, allowing you all to critique them and give me your opinions first, before I put the chapters up on FF.net, probably three chapters at a time (not counting Interludes, as those will probably be the shortest chapters.)

If you all like the idea, consider it a treat, if you're mixed on it, then I still consider it practice. I haven't written something long that isn't poetry in a very long time, and I'd be grateful for the opportunity to brush the rust off of that part of my brain. I plan on sticking with this for as long as I can, hopefully to the end, unlike the MH text adventure idea, which...well, I mostly stopped it because of the events of Season 2.

Does that guarantee that I'll finish it? No, of course not. Plans change. Life happens. I may get a job and start going outside more (as if that's a challenge), and that may cut away at my time a bit, if not halt the fic completely, or hell, people may just stop caring about reading it or the motivation to continue writing may just leave me. Or we might all get hit with a Mayan Magnetic-Field Reversing Meteorite piloted by Satan and King Midas. You never know. I'll still ride until the fuel runs out.

But as I said, I need opinions. I'd like to know what people think before I do anything. You all are my pals and I consider your input valuable more-so than that of a stranger's.

P.S.: I may make my next Shepard a femshep with a different background. If I do, I may start writing a fic for that Shepard as well. The one in this fic will be male.
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:02 am

Re: An idea for a different kind of Mass Effect 3 fanfic.

I am a mass-ive (hurr hurr) fan of Mass Effect. I look forward to this.
Captain of the Interplosion Night Watch/Hate Guard. First to be banned.

Glorious victories in LPW thread: 15 and one as Pravado

<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:23 am

I would love to see someone make their own story for ME3. Just completely overwrite everything in the real game. I am definitely looking forward to this.

Also, to answer your question about a complete edition of the games, as far as I know, Bioware has no intentions of doing this. The 'greatest hits' version of ME1 on the 360 comes with one of the DLCs, but not both of them. There is no collection of DLCs for ME2, except the PS3 version, and, well, ME3 just came out.
<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:32 pm

The both of you: Good to know there's interest in this. It might not come around for a little bit, but it's in the early planning stages.

Rando: Ahh, ok. I didn't know about the Greatest Hits thing, I may look into that. And as I said, since ME2 on PS3 is only about 15 dollars right now, I'd be willing to maybe buy it if that thing that lets you do your choices from Mass Effect 1 was on disc. Know anything about that?
<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:18 am

Not really. I think the digital comic comes on-disc, but I can't be sure. I'd imagine it would be.
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 am

Just so you guys know, the ps3 mass effect 2 didn't come with the arrival or armour/weapon dlc so it wasn't comprehensive either

<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:03 am

Hm...turns out I'd have to download the motion comic. Pity.

Maybe I can use a friend's internet. It's not that hard to get a PSN account.
<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:35 am

In that case, couldn't you just download the DLC for ME2?
<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:52 pm

Could, but I'm running kind of low with space on my 360 and I don't know which, if any, ME2 content is free. I only have a 20 gig hard drive for my 360 since I kept my hard drive from when I first got a 360 and never seem to have the money to get a better one. Since there's three of the major DLC packs on the PS3, I seem to have MUCH more space on that, and I'm only really interested in the Normandy Crash Site and Arrival DLC, the PS3 kind of seems like the most logical choice.

But we'll see. I haven't made up my mind yet. I know that ME3 starts with Shepard's trial due to something he did in the DLC, but since I haven't played it, I have an idea on how the fic could still start out with a trial, but for something different altogether.
<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:52 am

If you bought ME2 new (or the code worked), you should have a Cerberus Network card. This lets you get some DLC for free, which includes Normandy Crash Site, the Firewalker pack, Zaeed and some other borderline worthless crap. Lair of The Shadow Broker and Arrival are paid expansions.

Also, if you were wondering what happens in Arrival (spoilers)
Spoiler:
To delay the coming Reaper threat, Shepard blows up a mass relay, basically killing almost all of the batarians. And you have no choice on how it ends. ....kind of like Mass Effect 3.
<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:26 pm

Ahh, yeah, I'd heard he did something like that but didn't want to say it for spoiler's sake. But since I haven't played any of the DLC, as I said, I have an idea for something else that Shepard can do that'll get him arrested. It'll probably be surprising.
<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Well, in any case, I am moist with anticipation.
<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Excellent. As I said though, it may be a little while, since I need to research and come up with OCs that'd work in the universe, as well as work on the story. I have a few scenes planned out. The trouble will be attaching them.

Also, for the important OCs, I'm probably going to post who I imagine them being voiced by after their introduction chapter.
<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Sorry for the double post, but after some mass debating, no pun intended, between myself and several friends that are helping me with the fanfic, I've decided to let a few more details slip:

1. The fic will start with Shepard getting a sex change. Unfortunately, he does this in the middle of a crowded, busy street, so he gets arrested.

2. The fic will be a musical/songfic. In the climactic 'showstopper', Shepard will be singing "If Everyone Cared" by Nickelback into a machine that projects the song throughout the universe, though further circumstances must remain a secret ;) .

3. There will be Wrex x Grunt scenes.

5. I decided on writing out hardcore sex scenes between HermShep and a Volus.

6. Joker will cure his Vroliks syndrome very early on in the fanfic, and a romance will blossom between he and Mordin.

7. I decided to cross the fic over with Avatar (the James Cameron movie, not the show), by making the Quarians actually Na'Vi that managed to escape their homeworld.

4. Miranda will be suffering from vagina dentata.

8. Jak from Jak and Daxter will appear, and become a party member. His loyalty mission will be the events of Jak 3, which I never beat. I can guess how it ends though, right? I mean, that's what I'm doing with this whole fic, when you think about it.

9. Lastly, because EDI doesn't have any sex organs, I'm killing her early on and replacing her with a Hanar butler voiced by John Cleese, named Romero. There may be a love triangle between HermShep, Tali and Romero. ;)

That's about all I can reveal at this time, stay posted for more updates.
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:24 am

Not sure how excited anymore

<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:25 pm

Casey Hudson, is that you? You're ruining the Mass Effect universe just as hard.

Also, a John Cleese hanar would be the shit.
<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Oh friends, I was just April Foolin' around. ;D

...Though Romero DOES sound like a good idea if I used it right...
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:37 am

My comp says you posted that on April 2nd at 1:20pm so I assumed it wasn't lol

Edit: Keep Romero

<<

Nickjackal

Honored One

Post Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:11 pm

Yeah, it's official, I'm gonna find a way to put Romero in.

EDIT:

That doesn't involve killing EDI.

Return to Fan Fiction