But no seriously. I come to you all with an idea and a possible proposition. I would like to gauge interest of this idea before I get started on it.
Now, before I continue, I haven't played ANY Mass Effect DLC, and it seems that the only way I'll be able to at all is by getting the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 or if Bioware releases an "ultimate edition" of ME2 with the DLC. Getting the PS3 version isn't too far out of the question for me, since ME2's got such a good story I wouldn't mind replaying it, plus it's cheap now. ( I know about the motion comic thing that allows you to make your ME1 choices, but I don't know if it's on-disc or if I have to download it. That could be a deal-maker or a deal-breaker.)
Well, as I near the end of Mass Effect 2 and continuously hear negative things regarding the end of Mass Effect 3 which is putting me off of it (the fact that Bioware wants to release DLC to fix/continue the ending doesn't really appease me right now since I have no present way to access XBL or PSN), an idea strikes me: Since I only know certain parts about what happens in 3, and since it may be a while before I play 3, a few months at least, I was considering writing a fanfic of my own "Mass Effect 3".
Now, if the idea makes you cringe, know a few things first:
1. Most importantly, I want to be as faithful to the universe of Mass Effect as possible. That means replaying both games to find information on planets and choices I may not have paid a great deal of attention to my first couple times around, trying to make the returning cast as faithful to their personalities as I possibly can. I also have the Mass Effect wiki to go by, as well. If anyone messages me and says something like "That wouldn't be what Thane would say" or " You forgot that Joker has Vrolik's syndrome, apparently, because he just slapped his knee while he was laughing and probably broke it." and offers constructive criticism, then I'm perfectly willing to rewrite the entire chapter if I have to so I can fix my mistakes.
Only if the people can provide me with good enough criticism and evidence though. I don't want to change a bunch of things I don't consider to be a problem based solely on opinion (Shepard's choice of romantic interest for example).
2. There will be OCs, but I want them to make sense as well. No god-mode sues, no marty stus, no really overpowered mega-gods of characters. I want them each to have their own unique personalities and quirks, just like the cast in both games, but I want them to be fallible as well. No uber hot girls or guys that will instantly woo Shepard over by looks and a tragic backstory alone within the first five minutes. (Besides, my male Shepard's with Tali right now, and that may carry over, though the romance won't be a dominating factor.)
3. I want to use what I know about the events of Mass Effect 3 in the fic, but I want to put my own spin on them. Certain events will still probably happen, but they may happen differently. To those wondering about the Reaper invasion, I say "Duh, that'll happen". If it didn't, that'd be a dick move on my part.
4. If I get Mass Effect 3 during the course of writing this fanfic out (I plan on it being rather long, so it's possible), and if I like certain events in it enough, then I will do my best to incorporate those into the story as long as they don't interfere too much in events I've already set in motion. If not, the fic continues the way I planned.
5. There will be shout outs. I already have an idea on a Doctor Who shout-out.
6. I want to try and incorporate things from the gameplay of the series into the fanfic as well. Perhaps brief interludes between certain chapters where Shepard's walking around and overhears a random conversation, or through cutting off someone mid-speech like they were using an interrupt. There'll be a mix of 'paragon' and 'renegade' choices in there as well, given that Shepard may be prone to more Renegade options due to the stress of the Reaper invasion weighing on his nerves, so he may not be willing to put up with Udina, the Flotilla, or any squabbling allies without snapping at them. Or punching them in the face. I imagine Shep wouldn't be as calm as he/she's mostly been in ME1 and 2 if he/she were Paragon.
That's about it for the pitch.
Now, if the Mass Effect players among you enjoy this premise then I have a proposition:
I'd like to put the chapters of the story up on here first, allowing you all to critique them and give me your opinions first, before I put the chapters up on FF.net, probably three chapters at a time (not counting Interludes, as those will probably be the shortest chapters.)
If you all like the idea, consider it a treat, if you're mixed on it, then I still consider it practice. I haven't written something long that isn't poetry in a very long time, and I'd be grateful for the opportunity to brush the rust off of that part of my brain. I plan on sticking with this for as long as I can, hopefully to the end, unlike the MH text adventure idea, which...well, I mostly stopped it because of the events of Season 2.
Does that guarantee that I'll finish it? No, of course not. Plans change. Life happens. I may get a job and start going outside more (as if that's a challenge), and that may cut away at my time a bit, if not halt the fic completely, or hell, people may just stop caring about reading it or the motivation to continue writing may just leave me. Or we might all get hit with a Mayan Magnetic-Field Reversing Meteorite piloted by Satan and King Midas. You never know. I'll still ride until the fuel runs out.
But as I said, I need opinions. I'd like to know what people think before I do anything. You all are my pals and I consider your input valuable more-so than that of a stranger's.
P.S.: I may make my next Shepard a femshep with a different background. If I do, I may start writing a fic for that Shepard as well. The one in this fic will be male.