FAQ  •  Login

Religion

<<

Mi Cara Es Su Cara

Occasional Poster

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:07 am

Religion

Ok, does anyone here honestly believe in a God/Gods? If you do, I will fight to the death to prove your God wrong <3 I am an EXTREME Atheist and Antitheist (I even have a blog about it). So anyone wanna get into a major religious debate. Even if you still somehow believe in God at the end, you will know he is nothing like what you thought he was.
I just had sex. YOU JELLY BRO??!?!?!?!?!?!?
<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:35 am

Re: Religion

Wrong, wrong way to start a thread like this. I don't care if you're an athiest, I respect that, but just because somebody believes something that you don't doesn't mean you have to prove them wrong or attack them. There's nothing wrong with having faith in something you believe in.

I'm an agnostic. It's really early for me, so I won't get into the details of that, but I can talk about what I believe or might believe later, if you desire.
<<

Mi Cara Es Su Cara

Occasional Poster

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:56 am

Sorry :( I like talking about it to my religious friends because then they start screaming to me about how Im a stupid atheist and I laugh at them.
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:10 am

I'll just say here that I'm glad you also called yourself an antitheist in addition to atheist. True atheists get a bad rap because people often confuse the two terms, or the line tends to be blurred between the two.

That being said, I was raised in the Roman Catholic religion, straight through to being a confirmed Catholic, but, once I turned 18, I started researching other religions. I was Wiccan-turned-Pagan for a good time, then I incorporated some Taoist and Native American beliefs into it. Then I realized that I didn't really practice any religion, nor did I believe in any God(s)/Goddesses. I would call myself something spiritual, toeing the line between agnostic and pantheist at the moment. I also believe that faith, no matter where you choose to put it, is a wonderful thing.

Although my husband is an atheist, I could never agree with him because I believe, whole-heartedly, that there is something after death while he believes it's just full on nothingness. I've lost too many loved ones, people and pets alike, and felt their presence long after they were physically gone to believe they don't still exist on some level.
SuperHeroGirl: Always the exception. ALWAYS.
Wins on LPW prior to post count change: 5
Current wins on LPW: 6

<<

Mi Cara Es Su Cara

Occasional Poster

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:01 pm

SuperHeroGirl wrote:I'll just say here that I'm glad you also called yourself an antitheist in addition to atheist. True atheists get a bad rap because people often confuse the two terms, or the line tends to be blurred between the two.

That being said, I was raised in the Roman Catholic religion, straight through to being a confirmed Catholic, but, once I turned 18, I started researching other religions. I was Wiccan-turned-Pagan for a good time, then I incorporated some Taoist and Native American beliefs into it. Then I realized that I didn't really practice any religion, nor did I believe in any God(s)/Goddesses. I would call myself something spiritual, toeing the line between agnostic and pantheist at the moment. I also believe that faith, no matter where you choose to put it, is a wonderful thing.

Although my husband is an atheist, I could never agree with him because I believe, whole-heartedly, that there is something after death while he believes it's just full on nothingness. I've lost too many loved ones, people and pets alike, and felt their presence long after they were physically gone to believe they don't still exist on some level.

My girlfriend is a Roman Catholic... I love her but just thinking about it makes me feel weird. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong at all with belief, but I hate religion as a whole because so many people base their belief off of nothing. I hope I can convince her to desert the lies and tricks of the church. I mean even if she just said she believed in God, but not the bible and the church, I would be the happiest Ive ever been.
<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:34 pm

Religion and faith are two different things. A majority of common organized religions and churches are based on fear to keep people there and giving them money.

Faith on the other hand is your own personal belief. If your girlfriend believes in something, you should let her. It is not your responsibility to "convince" her of anything.
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:48 pm

If anyone asks I tell them I'm the avatar of KHONSHU!!!!

But in all seriousness, I am Roman Catholic and realise the Church aspect of the faith is out dated. Also Rando is correct. Most religions attempted to force people's faith and belief's to change throughout history, what makes you different to that?
Captain of the Interplosion Night Watch/Hate Guard. First to be banned.

Glorious victories in LPW thread: 15 and one as Pravado

<<

Randoman

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:30 am

Hm. Somehow I imagined Deimos as being an athiest.
<<

Riovas

Honored One

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:48 am

you know, I was gonna try to come up with reasons why I am a Christian, and all, but this topic is too heavy for just waking up and about to go to work. Basically, I'm a christian, have been since I was 16 and discovered faith and religion on my own while the rest of my family were agnostic. Religion and faith give guidance and, to some aspect, answers or solutions to occurrences in life. I believe that even if you may not want to believe in Christianity, there is sound advice as to how to be a better man.
<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:22 am

You'd think I'd be happy that this topic got created. But nope. Perhaps I'll throw out my opinion later, but for some reason I just can't go through this thread right now.
LPW Thread Wins: 23

Ranked #1 in forum posts, the only Veteran of the Great War. I am Interplosion's Tharol, I am your god

11037 never forget.
<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:15 pm

I want you to look me dead in the eye and tell me the Flying Spaghetti Monster does NOT exist.

Anyway, I don't have a religion, aside from the various ones I make up for stories and stuff, but that's because there have been many religions over the ages, so no one can be correct because their god said they were. It just doesn't make sense. Not to mention how often they shove religion down the throats of others. That being said, I cannot stand people that do this trying to disprove religion. I can understand trying to stop someone from slicing their children's ears off because Agmannenthh The Insolent demands the ears of children, but to basically say "I WILL DISPROVE YOUR GOD BECAUSE I CAN" is making you just as bad as the religions you seem to dislike.
All I can remember after I closed my eyes, was that first, it got real loud; then, it got real hot; then it got real slimy; then it got quiet; then it got.... unspeakable. And when I opened my eyes, the pool was empty, and three days had passed.
<<

Deimos

God of Fear

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:22 pm

Exactly what I was trying to say Azog
Captain of the Interplosion Night Watch/Hate Guard. First to be banned.

Glorious victories in LPW thread: 15 and one as Pravado

<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:23 pm

Also the point I tried to get across to Cara in chat. You don't have to be pushing a religion to come off as someone just trying to push your beliefs, (or lack there-of), just for the sake of it.

<<

InHABITED

Land Shark

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:24 am

Last edited by InHABITED on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

SuperHeroGirl

Super Detective

Post Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:25 am

Deimos' religion is to be Australian.

<<

ThePeople'sChamp

I'm Still Here

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:26 pm

I'm Christian and I accept that you are Atheist,I mean,its just a religion and I see nothing wrong with that.
Last post wins count: 4
<<

InHABITED

Land Shark

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Last edited by InHABITED on Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

AzogAzaxAzazel

Admineralissimo

Post Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:41 pm

InHABITED wrote:
ThePeople'sChamp wrote:I'm Christian and I accept that you are Atheist,I mean,its just a religion and I see nothing wrong with that.

See, There wouldn't be any problems if everyone was like this.

Actually, there would be loads of problems, because if everyone was Christian, then how would there be Atheists to accept?
All I can remember after I closed my eyes, was that first, it got real loud; then, it got real hot; then it got real slimy; then it got quiet; then it got.... unspeakable. And when I opened my eyes, the pool was empty, and three days had passed.
<<

Riovas

Honored One

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:33 am

I think he meant if everyone were accepting, there wouldn't be any problems
<<

MesserTod

Space Police

Post Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:31 am

Azog raises a good point, though. Those sentences can be construed to mean that, and therefore, that is a valid interpretation of Champ's/HABIT's statements. Or maybe it's all a joke that I'm not getting this early in the morning. Whatever works.

On topic: Champ's statement sounds nice, but I can't help feeling uneasy about the wording. I'll try again once I have my brain in order.
LPW Thread Wins: 23

Ranked #1 in forum posts, the only Veteran of the Great War. I am Interplosion's Tharol, I am your god

11037 never forget.
Next

Return to Debate